Tuesday 15 January 2013

Puy Lentil, Cherry Tomato and Haloumi Salad.

 

For a vegetarian who adores pretty much all vegetables, for some reason I have never been a big fan of salads. I think it's because I've never really been fond of raw vegetables in general, I love cooked carrots for example, but can't stand them raw (unless they are in coleslaw ofcourse). I've decided to try and start being a bit healthier though as I'd really like to lose a bit of weight before the summer so, I thought I would start looking for some tasty low fat recipes including some more interesting sounding salads.

I stumbled across this lovely recipe last week and thought it sounded really nice and tasty and very different to the usual bag of lettuce leaves topped with slices of cucumber and pieces of pepper. It got really good reviews on the website too so I thought I would give it a go and I'm very glad I did as I love it! I was a bit worried incase it was going to be a bit bland as some of the reviews said it was and that in needed a bit of chorizo or something added to it to liven it up. Ofcourse I can't have chorizo but, I considered popping some in for my Mum and Dad as I wanted to make sure they enjoyed it but, in the end I didn't and it really didn't matter as this salad had lots of lovely flavour to it.

It was so quick and easy to make too with very few ingredients needed and it turned out to be a really great dish which, I will now be making time and time again. The haloumi was also gorgeous so, I am now a big haloumi fan! I had only ever had it once before and it had been cut thinly and fried which, had made it quite tough whereas, this time I grilled it in chunks so it was still nice and soft. The dish looked great too with lots of vibrant colours which, was nice. The first time I made this salad I served it with a poached egg which, went nicely with the flavour but, it wasn't too necessary and Mum and Dad had it with some fish which, they said tasted delicious with it too. Recently I made this salad again though and took some better pictures of the dish which, I have now added to the post, replacing the old ones and this time I served the puy lentil salad with some tasty homemade Garlic and Basil Ciabatta which, I will soon upload the recipe for and also some delicious homemade Caramelised Red Onion Quiche and Veggie Bacon and Roast Red Pepper Quiche. If you decide to give the Puy Lentil, Cherry Tomato and Haloumi salad a go, I hope you really enjoy it too!

 
Recipe
                       250g cherry tomatoes, halved                 
½ red onion , finely sliced
½ garlic clove , crushed
½ lemon , juiced
                                  1 tbsp. olive oil                                  
                                          150g Puy Lentils                                          
250g pack haloumi cheese , cut into chunks
a small bunch coriander , roughly chopped

Method
  1. Toss the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl. Cook the Puy lentils until just tender, drain and add to the bowl. Season well and toss.
  2. Grill the haloumi until golden. Stir the coriander through the lentils and serve with the haloumi. Eat as it is or serve with whatever you like; fish, slices of chorizo, quiche, pizza or some warm crusty bread and butter etc.
 
Thankyou for reading!
Love Courts x
 




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment